Shoulder movements are supported by a ball-and-socket joint. The bone joints into a socket, allowing a wide range of movements in all directions.
Muscles around the joint form a capsule to support these movements and also secrete fluid that lubricates the joints. Depletion of the fluid can cause abrasion, making it hard to move or cause shoulder pain.
Usually shoulder pains are short lived and affect a small area. However, sometimes a tender shoulder pain could be a gateway to a severe ailment like osteoarthritis. People suffering from rheumatoid arthritis usually experience pain and swelling in their shoulders.
This article will dive deep to provide you with some useful information on how to use TENS Unit for shoulder pain. If you are planning to buy a TENS Unit to help you get rid of shoulder pains, I suggest trying out this Unit.
Shoulder pain could be caused due to several reasons
• Inflammation of the shoulder, causing a swelling and making it sore due to an infection or an injury;
• Ruptured muscles around shoulder region;
• TENSion caused to the muscles due to improper posture in your upper back when you stand or using the computer on the desk;
• Infection in the fluid cushion that lubricates the muscles and makes the movement of shoulder bones very smooth;
• Arthritic pain leading to damage of bones and cartilages.
There is a possibility of a radiating pain from another part of your body, for example neck that can cause shoulder pain.
If you intend to purchase iReliev TENS Unit pad to get relief from shoulder pain, please read further down.
Relief from shoulder pain, using TENS Unit
Shoulder pain can be treated efficiently using TENS Unit.
Truly yes, a TENS Unit is the most recommended method to relieve shoulder pain.
Although do visit our safety guidelines and list of possible side effects of using TENS Unit, before purchasing them. These are mentioned further down the post.
Using the TENS Unit for shoulder pain
1. Place the electrode pads on or near the areas of shoulder, where you are experiencing the pain;
Note: since the shoulders are made of joints and have rounded shape, keep shifting the electrode pads to identify the spot where there is maximum pain – could be a right or closer to right position with maximum pain.
2. Make sure the skin is not dirty and always dry, before using the Unit;
3. Turn on the Unit with a low setting, gradually increasing the speed;
4. Regulate the setting until you feel comfortable using the Unit;
5. Continue the same for under half an hour maximum.
Electrical vibration from the TENS Unit blocks the pain signals that are transmitted to the brain. This mitigates the pain sensations and can also be used a number of times, as needed. The beauty of this therapy is that it is not very pricey and relatively safe to use in contrast to treatments.
Whether it is an acute shoulder pain due to an injury, a frozen shoulder, knots in the muscle or just another sore shoulder issue – TENS Unit is the answer to get the most effective relief.
It is highly advised using two electrodes (with single channel) or four electrode pads (with double channels).
TENS Unit safety tips
Safety precautions: Make sure the electrode pads never touch each other.
Before operating the TENS Unit for your shoulder pain, please refer to the safety tips in order to avoid any accidents.
1. Position the electrode pads in a pattern over the pain areas of the shoulder, to ensure that they are not very close to each other. Recommended distance should be at least 2 to 3 inches. This makes these electrode pads more effective to use;
2. Make sure the Unit is switched off before you attach the electrode pads to affected areas of the shoulder;
3. Read the instructions on how to use the TENS Unit carefully for shoulder pain in the sections above, for optimum results of the Unit and avoiding any safety concerns;
4. Make sure the electrodes are placed at a safe distance from each other;
5. Do not use the electrode pads on the skin surface with cuts, bruises, wounds or rashes;
6. Use the TENS Unit for no more than 30 minutes continuously. Over using of the Unit can cause issues.
Benefits of using the TENS Unit
iReliev TENS Unit comes with a bundle of benefits over traditional therapies and treatments for shoulder pain.
1. iReliev TENS Unit are easy to understand and use.
2. You can use the iReliev TENS Unit even when walking, sleeping or sitting;
3. iReliev TENS Units come in compact size, to fit in the pocket.
Side effects of using TENS Unit inappropriately
Make sure you read this section carefully before using TENS using to avoid any side effects.
1. Allergy caused due to electrode pads: it was noted in some cases that the adhesion on the electrode pads, causes redness of the skin irritation. If you experience this, try using hypoallergenic pads, instead.
2. Reusing the electrode pads: if you use the electrode pads for a longer time, there is a possibility of irritation on the area of application. Possibly clean the pads carefully with clean water, before reusing them again. Also try and leave it for a little longer time, before application.
3. Placement of electrode pads: prior to using the TENS Unit, do some research on where to place the electrode pads. Ensure you do not place them near sensitive or inappropriate regions.
4. Pregnant women: it is absolutely safe for expecting women to use a TENS Unit. However, avoid using the Unit in abdominal and pelvic regions.
5. Epileptic users: if you are suffering from epilepsy, TENS Unit can be used anywhere else except the neck and head region to avoid complications.
6. Cardiac conditions: for people suffering from cardiac issues, PLEASE AVOID USING TENS Unit.
7. Pacemaker users: people who have had pacemakers installed, should avoid using TENS Unit.
8. Discomfort to users: TENS Unit produces vibrations, which may cause a buzzing, tingling, or prickling sensation, bringing discomfort to few users.